Sunday, May 20, 2007

Open source codes of each paper

Usually when you read a journal paper and happen to to like it. So you want to implement their idea. Now the problem occurs, how can I implement those ideas? I need to work out every detail to work it out. Also only when you work it out in detail, you can say you understand it since you make computer understand it.

Why do all papers have their code attached? I will do it for all my papers from now on.
  • to make my code more organized
  • to make my work better known by others if they can see how concrete results come out
  • to improve the work if I can get the feedback from others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am very often suspicious about the results in many papers.

On the other hand, most of computations done in OM/OR papers are in fact from cook up parameters, the selections of which are largely up to your own needs. As long as the intuitions are correct, not many people bother to verify the results, even for almost all referees.

In any rate, I agree that authors should make their results more accessible to readers, especially about details.