Friday, October 13, 2006

My presentation@IP seminar: "rondom thoughts about optimization"

Yesterday I did my first outside class presentation Since my research is not mainly about optimization, I have to make up some stuff to fit the audience's interest. Also I hope that my talk can create some coordination between students in our department. So I just provide several of my ideas which I think that might be attractive to other people.

The result of presentation is OK, at least people don't feel bored during that 50 min. But I am sure that I don't achieve my target fully, since no one shows strong interests. Larry told me that my confidence overcomes my spoken English. Prof. Huang shows a different approach to solve one of my problems about LP and regression after presentation, where there is no need to change matrix A but only constants on RHS. Also I find another way too. We can just change one column instead of replacing the rows. Prof. Linderoth also provides me how do sampling in multi-stage stochastic programming. Prof. Ralphs reminds me how to get dual solution easily. Ash shows interest on my network formulation and I explain to him about bootstrap idea further. Zumbul told me that she has her own problem and want to coordinate with me. Finally my wife told me that I put too much contact with those professors and lose contact to the students.

Finally, I should say I need focus. After that I hope get any coordination with other students.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Actually, I have learned more from my fail presenations than from successful ones.