Thursday, October 19, 2006

How I remember those speakers' presentation(2004, Fall)?

Yesterday I read through the advice to the young scientist. It gives some advice about how to do a good talk. The first advice is 'Every lecture should make only one main point. ' And the fouth advice is 'Give them something to take home.'. What can make people remember you. Here is the answer.
It is not easy to follow this advice. It is easier to state what features of a
lecture the audience will always remember, and the answer is not pretty.
I
often meet, in airports, in the street, and occasionally in embarrassing
situations, MIT alumni who have taken one or more courses from me. Most of the
time they admit that they have forgotten the subject of the course and all the
mathematics I thought I had taught them. However, they will gladly recall some
joke, some anecdote, some quirk, some side remark, or some mistake I made.


So I want to recall all the seminar in our department I attend to see what I remember from those talks. Then I may know how to improve my presentation. And how to be a good audience. Here I need to clarify. The talks I don't remember now may be due to that I don't have enough knowledge at that time. I begin from 2004, Fall which is my first semester here.

2004 Fall, I attended all the seminars. The following is the talks that I still have an impression.

08/27/04 David Drake Lehigh Phd student: This is first seminar I attended. The only thing I still can remember is that he thought HongKang is nice place.

9/17/04 Suvrajeet Sen. Program director at NSF. This was the time that every professor was going to take notes. I remember that Dr. Ralphs and Linderoth asked some questions about software patent.

11/5/04 Aurelie Thiele. Lehigh. I know newsboby model can also extend to revenue management. But the terminology is different. Basically, for the simple concave problem, the optimal solution is achieved at marginal cost equal to marginal revenue. In the revenue management, if we have high fare class and low fare class. The number of seats reserved to high fare class is achieved at expected revenue brought by high fair class is equal to expected revenue brought by low fare class.

12/3/04 Krishnan Anand, Upenn, There was an interesting situation that sometimes information may cause increase of inventory. I also remember there is an question related to Wal-mart. Later on, I find a good explanation and email it to Prof. Anand.

No comments: