Monday, May 15, 2006

Super Bowl of Operations Research

Franz Edelman Award this year came to Warner Robins Air Logistics Center. They use "Critical Chain" to reduce repair and overhaul in the depot from thirteen to seven and repaired time drop 33%. When I try to find a little more detail from www.Informs.org, unfortunately there is even no further information. As I think "Critical Chain" is pretty similar to critical path. Maybe it considers undergoing tasks through repair network instead of static analysis of critical path and adjust resource correspondingly. I am not sure whether it will consider stochastical demand and repair time. If it doesn't invovle stochastical element in their model, it still has much space to improve.

If I get a chance to join this competition, I would like to implement my new idea about advertisement in TV.

Currently, the Ad during the program is quite even distributed. If I was watching a program and there is Ad, I would change the channel. I may find more attractive program or even attractive. Even if I cannot find one, I may switch back to the current channel without watching much Ad. Suppose now we use nearly exponential distributed Ad news. I think it may prevent people sticking changing channel.

First they cannot clear idea how long the Ad will be so they will change back quicker even if they change back

Second since it is exponential distributed, when you are back you will still see same expected length of Ad. given it is still Ad time

Third since there is more time each person watching Ad, the company can reduce total Ad length. It brings more satisfication of customer.

No comments: