Monday, May 08, 2006

Ph.D. Thesis Research: Where do I Start?

I just finish reading this article. It is worth reading. The main questions this article hope to address is indicated from the title. So which topic I should choose?

New and Important. Everyone knows it. But how to find such topic is still the art. Although this article is for Economy major. But it is applicable to other major. Also it is not limited to how to pick a topic, it also mentions other important success factors for a PhD student.

I post some section titles as well as my opinion:
1. How Do I Find “The Right Topic”? (No right topic)
2. How do I know if I have an interesting topic? (Find a real world counterpart, discuss with others...)
3. Where do I start? Strategies for Research:
3.1 If you want to write applied theory, read empirics.
3.2 If you want to write empirics, read theory.
3.3 There is a “Research Frontier”; Your job is to find it.
3.4 Go to weekly departmental seminars in your field. ( I like it and hope to ask a question every time)
3.5 Go to seminars of potential new assistant professors at your school. ( I will try this summer at IP seminar)
3.6 Read the working papers of the intellectual leaders in your narrowly focused research area. 3.7 Read the best journals selectively. ( Still have no time to read or at least scan MS, OR, MSOM regularly)
3.8 Talk, Talk, Talk! Write, Write, Write! ( Need to practice more )
3.9 Question Authority! ( That's what I like to do )
3.10 DonÂ’t Take Courses! ( I don't agree this. But it is true that I will choose to audit rather than taking)
3.11 DonÂ’t teach! ( The author must be a American who doesn't need to worry about teaching as a professor )
3.12 Dealing with advisors. ( Yeah. "the risks of saying nothing far outweigh the costs of occasionally saying something stupid (so long as you also occasionally say something interesting!).")
3.13 Your advisor is too nice!
3.14 Present your work whenever possible.
3.15 Consider writing your first paper jointly.
3.16 Writing matters. ( Still a long way to go )
3.17 Presentation matters. ( Is it easier than writting? )
3.18 Inspiration is where you find it

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Ying, this is Jim. A few words of advice that may be helpful. I would ask your advisor to give you a research topic. By now, he knows you well enough to determine what you may like and be able to do. Also, he probably has a good idea of what is important research. I think as long as the topic is broad enough, you will be able to find some areas that interest you. The sooner you get a topic the sooner you can start reading. I saw your list of books you want to read this summer... I think your crazy! That is a lot to do and time is probably better spent doing other things. So, I would advise getting started on something, whatever that something may be. I hope you are having a good summer!

Ying said...

Thanks Jim.

Usually, I will set high target for me. In Chinese, Setting high target, getting median result. Now I only read 2 chapters of real analysis till now. Only two things I still meet the target is playing tennis every week and auditing a finance class.

So far, my own research just start. This year, IBM project consumes me too much time. I hope once I can make big progress on real research once those companies' projects done.

Anonymous said...

2 chapters is good, it is hard stuff to learn, espicially if you are trying to learn in without help. What are your thoughts so far on measure theory? (sorry for the anonymous, I don't like having to login to websites)

Ying said...

I just stop before Lebesgue measure, since I have a paper due at the end of this month. And I will pick it up in July. Hope I can get some ideas at that time.

How is your research going on in Italy? I guess everyone will be crazy from this Friday. It is good time to learn another football now.