Monday, September 04, 2006

chalk and slide

This semesters, all my attended courses are taught from Math department. Those professors like to present their material by chalk on the blackboard. In contrast, most of my IE courses are taught through slides. But I have to say that I love chalk style. You can see how the professor thinks from chalk but not from slides. Also when you take down the notes, you not only use ears to listen, but also use eyes to look and hand to write down. The more 'sensors' you use during the class, the more and the longer you can remember.

One possible reason for the IE professors to use slides more than chalks is because IE professors uses more computer than Math professors. So the technology not always create better way to learn. But slides is healthy way to teach since the more chalk you use, the more chalk ash you absorb. Also use slides may have huge scale of economic. If let me choose which way I use. I would be half and half. Just like last semester nonlinear programming class. Use the slides to show main ideas, use chalks to show the details.

No comments: